Eastern Echo Newsletter
Eastern Region Youth and Young Adult Leadership Day
Updates on regional events and plans being made. Those in youth ministry or other youth leaders who would like to help plan regional events, please contact Cheryl Smith here in our office (797-4030).
Year of Faith Pastoral Letter Discussion on the Agenda!
We will discuss some of the key points made by Bishop Cunningham as the mission of the Year of Faith continues into 2014 and beyond. The Church in our diocese faces many challenges, but our community of faith-filled individuals who make up the Body of Christ "share in the responsibility and sacred duty" of being missionary disciples.
1. How are you, (your parish, your catechists, your programs), sharing faith authentically with the young people of the parish so as to give them a faith experience that will last into their future adulthood?
2. There are changes in the ways our young people understand community. How is this reflected in what we see in their understanding of Church community and how can we adjust to meet on common ground?
3. "Evangelization is meant to be new in its ardor, new in its methods and new in its expression". How are you using the most effective new methods and new tools available today to prepare for the Church of tomorrow.
4. How do we "bring our best" in each of us to Mass? Are we effectively even bringing them? What ways can we be more invitational and be more creative in our liturgies so as to meet spiritual needs of the faith community?
5. In what ways can we be more effective in reminding our parents of their responsibilities in the formation of their children and how can we be more of assistance and support to them?
6. "Acknowledging the vital role faith formation programs contribute to the mission of the Church, we need to provide increased opportunities for continuing education and certification for our catechists and catechetical leaders. It is imperative that those in charged with passing on the faith be competent and qualified for this important task". From this statement, what suggestions do you have to make certification a prime goal for our region? How can our office be more effective to helping you and your catechists? Are you promoting certification in your parish as being necessary for effectively guiding our children of today toward being the Church filled with tomorrow's members.
Reflect on these questions and other questions you may have...we will share our thoughts on these in what I hope will be a great conversation!
Level I In-Person Course Schedule for the Region
February 5, 12 & 19 Discipleship at The Eastern Region Office
March 3, 10, 24 The Word at St. Patrick's, Oneida
March 18, 25, April 1 Discipleship at St. Paul's, Rome
March 26, Apr 2, 9 The Word at Our Lady of Lourdes, Utica
Level I On-line Sessions for Winter/Spring 2014
Don't be Afraid, Be an online learner!
For the beginner trying to learn how to navigate, post, upload, download, etc for an online course. See how to navigate in diocesan online courses, C21 and others. Take charge of your own learning by learning how to learn online!!!!
Level II Courses Offered
See Boston College C21 and University of Notre Dame's Catechetical Courses! You can find information and links on our "Courses" Page.
March 29th Level II Alternative Models "But we Never did it That way Before!"
Click above for flyer.
Lenten Morning of Reflection
"Into the Woods with Dorothy, Harry and the Brothers Grimm" This title surely is meant to grab your attention! Presenter Fr. David Wm. Mickiewicz from the Diocese of Albany will lead us into a very prayerful and personally active spiritual experience as we look at the Pascal mystery as story always being told, even in our own personal stories. Spread the word to your entire parish! This event is being graciously sponsored by our friends at Pflaum Publishing.
Lenten Book Club ~ Wednesday's with the Pope
Click above for flyer
Catechetical Leaders' Retreat with Bill Huebsch!!!!
April 24 &25! Mark you calendars now! (flyer will be available soon)
Technology Fun from Florida
If time permits, Cheryl and I will share a few technology tips, tricks and products we learned about in Florida!
Certification and Re-Certification (Instructions!!)
Those catechetical leaders who are eligible for certification or re-certification must have a letter of recommendation from your pastor sent to the Regional Director's office and your application (found in the Catechetical Leader's 2013 edition, Appendix 2B) to be completed and submitted to the Regional Director. Upon receiving these items, you will be contacted to set up a meeting to review and discuss your hopes & dreams as a Catechetical Leader in the Third Millennium. It is recommended that you complete the Self evaluation (Appendix 7A) to bring with you to the meeting. You should also ask your pastor and one or two others that work with you to give you an evaluation to help you see your strengths and weaknesses. If you do not know if you are eligible this year, please check with me as soon as possible.