- Confirmation Requests
- SuperGrant Updates from Dick Vetere for Collaborative Parish Initiative
- Super Grant Upcoming Dates
- CL Gatherings/Meetings for 2017-18
- PCA Gatherings for 2017-18
- Reaching out to Parents - Living as Missionary Families & Intergenerational approaches
- Summer Sizzler with JoAnn Paradise "Standing in the In Between"
- Save the Date - Fall Conference Event 11-11-2017
- Technology in Ministry Workshops & Support
- Office of Youth Ministry - Youth Rally & NCYC Trip
Confirmation Requests for Fall 2017
Dear Pastors and Confirmation Coordinators,
As I begin ministry as a pastor this Fall, Bishop Cunningham is left without a full-time assistant. Aware of that, please consider your confirmation request carefully this year. In particular, please consider the time and day of your request and the number of candidates. You may consider a weeknight ceremony. This year, Wednesday nights are being made available in addition to Tuesday and Thursday. If you are not already doing so please consider working together with your PCA for Confirmation. Parishes who have a small number of candidates should come together for a larger ceremony.
To make your request for Confirmation at your parish in the upcoming school year, please use the online form found at this link:
If more than one parish will be part of the ceremony, please submit just one form from the host parish.
The Bishop's office will try to accommodate all requests, but some adjustments may be necessary this year. Thank you in advance for your understanding.
Also, if you are planning a parish anniversary or other event and plan to invite Bishop Cunningham, please submit that request as soon as possible.
Please contact me if you have any trouble with the online form.
Fr. Joe O'Connor
Regarding the Collaborative Parish Youth & Young Adult Initiative
After months of discussion and planning by a collaborative group of CL’s and Youth Ministers, a proposal was submitted to the Board of Directors of the Good News Foundation in June of 2016. The Board voted to create the Super Grant Fund for a three year period.
The grant targets collaboration in the following areas:
- Regional Youth Events
- Summer Youth Program (Brochures for this year are now available!)
- Supporting participation in National Conferences (Notre Dame Visions, Steubenville, NCYC, etc.)
- Young Adult Ministry (singles and married) Along with Theology on Tap, more Pre- evangelizing gatherings have been offered with socialization, networking and faith sharing. The Utica area parishes have partnered with the already existing and very vibrant young adult ministry at St. Lois Gonzaga Church.
- Mini Grants- for local parishes or PCAs to collaborate in youth or young adult ministry. Once such mini grant was the “Ride for Faith” biking event in Utica this past spring.
- The development of youth leadership and peer ministry through a regional Youth Council who will also have input to youth events and other leadership roles.
- And a one-time grant for 64 Pearl (the renovation and re-visioning of the former convent to be a youth center in the New Hartford/Utica area.
The first year brought successful events, listening sessions, and continued planning. Efforts to collaborate with the Diocesan Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry, Faith Formation and others are ongoing. The authors of the grant are committed to developing a partnership that allows the grant to enhance and supplement diocesan programs, not compete with them.
Another successful youth day took place in October 2016 as 500+ students participated in a retreat-like day led by Sophia Elacqua and filled a trailer with food items for area Veterans.
We partnered with St. Louis Gonzaga young adult ministry to sponsor a Young Adult Social at Zenia's Restaurant. The event was a very nice evening of food, prayer, short speaker presentation and much socializing. The event led to increased attendance at the monthly Theology on Tap gathering.
A mini-grant was given to the “Ride for Faith” which was a huge success and, will more than likely become an annual event.
Upcoming Youth & Young Adult events as we begin year two in the Super Grant are as follows:
- The 22nd annual Summer Youth Program kicks off on July 2, 2017. Eighteen parishes have agreed to be participating sponsors. Brochures with the schedule are available at the regional office and a digital format will be available soon. Stay tuned! Lots of fun events this year!
- The regional collaborative young adult ministry is hosting a Summer Social on Monday, June 19 at Aqua Vino in Utica. Tickets are $30. The event is opened to ANYONE...young, elderly, single, married. 100% of the money raised goes to The Abraham House.
- The Fall Regional Youth Event is scheduled for October 22, 2017. Details will be forthcoming.
- The diocesan Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry has scheduled an evening with Chris Padgett on Wed., October 18 at St. John the Evangelist. In light of this, most of those in attendance to the last meeting, supported the idea of having a “Celebrate Youth Week” in the Eastern Region to give parishes the option to promote both events. We are looking at other ways to highlight parish events and activities.
Catechetical Leaders' Meetings for 2017-18
A schedule for regional area meetings will be available in August and may be only a partial calendar. I would like to keep some flexibility in the calendar at this time. However, we will have gatherings with our ministry leaders throughout the year. Gatherings next year will included a chance for further ministry development as we dive into the new "Effective Catechetical Leaders" books from Loyola Press, the newly released document, "The Joy of Adolescent Catechesis" from NCYC,NCEA & NCCL newly released worksheets from USSCB to use as we move through the Catechetical year, "Living as Missionary Disciples."
In addition to regular meetings in our central gathering space, I would like every PCA to schedule at least one meeting among themselves in which I may attend. I would prefer these meetings to be held sometime within the first half of the catechetical year. Please use my calendar listed on the front page of the Eastern Echo to search for available dates as you plan among yourselves. I do expect every PCA to schedule one small group meeting as such. If you do multiple meetings already within your PCA...that is AWESOME! I only need to come to one of your PCA meetings.
One of the concerns that most parishes note when it comes to parents is the need to engage them more. The USCCB catechetical theme, Living as Missionary Disciples, can provide an opportunity to foster "missionary families" as Pope Francis describes in "Amoris Laetitia". In response to this, I would like to help parishes implement intergenerational events. You may want to first "look in" as other CLs plan, organize and implement an event. St. Bernard's in Waterville has been doing such events for the past few years and has offered to be a host parish. More details will come later. I would like a few other parishes to be host parishes, even if this is your first time, as I will help you every step of the way. Please email me soon to look at possible dates in December, January, or February to plan an event that other parishes may also "look in and or be a part of."
Order packs of 50 for $16.95 through OSV
Also available in English.
For a non-reproducible PDF of this pamphlet, click here. The PDF is meant for review only and should not be reproduced in any form.